Hello! Welcome to the tutorial about how to make a Garry’s mod server! This tutorial is about Garry’s Mod 13. Here things in quotes are exact names or things you need to copy.
(Notice: This may not work on Mac or Linux.)
Last Updated: 5/19/16 or May 19, 2016.
Lets get Started!
1. First, make a new folder called “Gmod”. (Remember the caps). This can really be every where but if you don’t know how the file system works put it in your C: drive.
2. Download this (Windows only). It will download as a zip file.
3. Extract this and run the steamcmd.exe.
4. When you run the exe it will open up a console. Type in there
5. Then type in: “force_install_dir (Path)” For (path) if you put it in your C drive replace (path) with: “C:/GMod”
6. Now type in “app_update 4020” ***This will take awhile***
7. Type in: “app_update 4020 validate”
8. Now after that is done go and open your GMod folder. Inside should be a bunch of files. In there make a new text document called start.bat. Then open it up with the program of your choice. Then copy and past the following in:
echo Protecting srcds from crashes…
echo If you want to close srcds and this script, close the srcds window and type Y depending on your language followed by Enter.
title srcds.com Watchdog
echo (%time%) srcds started.
start /wait srcds.exe -console -game garrysmod +map gm_construct +maxplayers 16
echo (%time%) WARNING: srcds closed or crashed, restarting.
You can change the maxplayers as you wish.
9. In the GMod folder open up the folder called “cfg”. Then inside edit the file “server.cfg”. Then paste in the following.
hostname “My Server”
The hostname is the name of the server that will appear in the Garry’s mod server list. You may want to change the rcon_password from muffin though.
10. Go back to the GMod server and run the “start.bat” we made. The server should now start up. Although other players can not connect to it. To do this you need to port forward. We will not teach you how to but we will give you a link to a video to learn more!
Link to port forwarding:
Other Garry’s Mod server tutorials:
Using ULX *Coming Soon*
Changing the server’s map. *Coming Soon*
Adding addons to the server. *Coming Soon*
If you need help fell free to ask in the comments!